WHAT IS OTOPLASTY (EAR SURGERY)
What is otoplasty? Otoplasty is the surgery of reshaping ears to make them more aesthetically pleasing. One of the goals for ear surgery is to create a natural-looking curve. In addition, this can be used to fix any asymmetry in ear size.
Ears are your prime organs for hearing and balance. Most importantly, it gives your face a pleasing proportion from all angles. Sadly, ear prominence and ear deformities can have a serious effect on one’s self-esteem. As a result, this may often lead to a lifetime of self-consciousness.
The good thing here is that the ear's external appearance can be improved through otoplasty. Otoplasty is a cosmetic surgery that can reshape your outer ears. The most common type of this procedure is "ear pinning". In this process, ear pinning fixes the protruding ears.
WHAT CAUSES PROMINENT EARS?
Having prominent ears can be a genetic condition that affects many people. Aside from that, there can be many reasons behind the occurrence.
- Firstly, earlobe concavity- an indentation in the middle of your lobe's cartilage.
- Secondly, an underdeveloped antihelical fold. This antihelical fold is a small ridge on the cartilage behind your ear.
- Thirdly, lack of cartilage support on the lower part of your outer ear.
WHAT IS OTOPLASTY SURGERY FOR?
- Unusual large ear lobes
- Lop ear (ear tip folds down and trends forward)
- Shell ear (certain features of a normal ear are missing, such as the curve in the outer rim and other natural folds)
- Cupped ear (ear smaller than normal)
There can be many potential concerns with your outer ears. At, MAXIM surgeons, we can personalize your otoplasty ear sculpture for you.
Furthermore, the surgeon will also provide pre- and post-op instructions before the procedure. So, you can be rest assured that the process will be smooth.
Do you want to learn more about what is otoplasty? Then, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
CONTACT US FOR MORE ON EAR PLASTIC SURGERY
Call the MAXIM-affiliated center nearest you today for your free consultation! You can submit a contact form through this website. We will get back to you as soon as possible!